Thursday, April 3, 2008

Oh, Storm Clouds!



Have I ever told you how much I love a good storm?

I love a good storm. Crave them actually.

The excitement I feel when I see an ominous black storm cloud looming on the horizon!
I can feel the energy, hours before it reaches us, and my whole being becomes electrified with it.

The Power! And yet, I feel most at peace during the height of a crashing, whipping, booming thunderstorm.

I love to stand in the doorway, or even better, on a patio, letting the wind whip my hair as it howls through the trees and overhead. I get goosebumps at the pounding, drenching, earth cleansing downpour!

The smell of a thunderstorm can hardly be described, but I will try.
It begins in the distance...that a storm is coming sweet, wet, green smell in the air...then becomes something altogether more obvious...a heavy, woody, refreshing scent that I seem to smell with my heart as much as my nose.

A storm is a pleasure for all the senses. Striking contrast of black sky and electric light... scent that cleans and refreshes the soul... thunder; soft, distant, promising at first, then earth shaking, body quaking claps and cracks...and Oh! the feeling of it all! Heavy, thick, warm air leaving a layer of damp stickiness to your whole body... push your hair back from where it's stuck to your forehead...wait for the cool clean rain that is promising to come... Then it does. Complete with wind that takes your warm damp skin and turns it to goosebumps and if you dare, a shower like none other!

Summer storms are on the horizon here in TX already.

Mmmm, my heart thumps in my chest at the thought of it.

No comments: